This is an example of a caption.

19/09/2011

The 10 Minute Rule


For those who may read my upcoming dissections of the games I play, there’s a vital rule that I will always respect. I call this my “10 minute rule.”

The rule is very simple:

If I am not engaged within 10 minutes of starting playing, the game is crap.


I feel I should explain my reasoning, since many people have disagreed with me, or even pointed out how many great gaming experiences I have passed over because a game failed this rule.

Games are entertainment. Specifically they are interactive forms of entertainment. But primarily, they are entertainment. As such, I expect one primary result from engaging with them: I expect to be entertained.

Unlike some gamers, however, I am a hard-ass about this expectation. I expect a well designed game to come out of the gates swinging. To capture my imagination and have me in awe of the creativity of the development team, right off the bat. If any game does not present a glorious bounty of fun in my initial experience with the game, then they already made a fatal flaw. How many more flaws will I find later? Time is a finite resource – I have other games to play, not to mention actual work to do. (And I’m pretty sure that at any given moment in time, I want to do the dishes as well.)

So, this rule has some slide to it and it’s not my ONLY rule. I can be partially engaged in the first 10 minutes and if minute 15 provides some sort of amazing gameplay experience that knocks me on my ass, you can be sure I’ll finish the game. I could be thoroughly engaged in the first 10 minutes, but find that hour number 2 is absolutely grueling, which leads me to give up on a game. However, if the first 10 minutes of a game is grueling and boring, then it’s CRAP. PERIOD.

So, let me give you an example of a game that failed this rule. This is the game that I consider crap and many people disagree with me. It’s a game that many people loved and I’ve been assured that I missed out on a really great game because of my 10 minute rule. Perhaps I should have paid some kid to play the first 15-20 minutes so that I could eventually get to a good game. Wait, no, that would be stupid as hell.

So what’s that game? Super Paper Mario. Why is it shit? Because I start a new game and have to deal with this crap:

 


That’s 5 solid minutes of bleeps, bloops, shoddy dialogue and absolute torture. I don’t need to endure such horrendous crap to be able to get to a good game. Oh, and you can’t skip it. You can’t say “Hey, designer who should have been a crappy kids novelist – I’d rather not have to look at your bullshit. Please let me play the GAME that I paid to play.” Nope, you’re stuck there. You can speed it up a bit, but that just further enraged me.

Besides, I have other good games I can play.

So there you have it: The 10 Minute Rule.

You have 10 minutes, game developers, to prove to me that your game is worth my time. I’m not willing to give you more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment